Sunday, November 1, 2020

OMG I Will Survive!

 
Ava or Gloria?


So, this was a fun cap to make that I've been thinking about since early September.  That's when I got this ear worm stuck in my head.  Ava Max's "OMG What's Happening".  You see, I've recently been opening myself to more and more 'Pop' music.  Especially pop music that harkens back to older styles and Ava Max (or at least her producers) really seem to harken back to a disco state of mind with her music. 

In the case of OMG What's Happening they did this in a little more literal sense as it uses the chord progression from Gloria Gaynor's disco hit "I Will Survive".  And the more I listened to the lyrics of both songs, the more I heard a feminizing tale in my head.  A guy half transformed into a girl, left on his/her own, then coming back to the person and asking to be finished and transformed the rest of the way.  

The problem with ideas like this is there's no image concept.  What exactly would a cap like this look like?  I mean, I could figure out and have fun with making most of the story out of the lyrics (or go completely meta and JUST use the lyrics), but does that go with a pic of a girl writing in her journal?  A first person view of a girl looking at a guy sitting all cocky?  A girl blowing a guy while looking lovingly up at her man?  A girl blowing a buy while looking horrified up at her tormentor?  I must have looked for images that could go with this vibe a dozen times, all without success.  I might have been able to make a cap each and every time, but I spent all my energy on finding the right image for this cap and when I was done searching, I was done thinking about capping.  

Then this morning happened and I came across this image set.  Image 3 caught my eye, but while her eyes had that confused/loving/lustful/hateful look I wanted, her hands were too willing.  Image six was perfect... but there's no space for text.  I was almost ready to stop looking and accept it wouldn't be a cap and would be an Obscura instead.  Thankfully I carried on and saw images 10, 11, and 12.  10 was the one only because it had clear space for both a title and text, but God,  just look at her facial expressions!  Don't they just scream "STOP!" and "OH GOD DON'T STOP!" at the same time!?  

Writing was as easy as I'd imagine.  I think I walked the line between meta and story fairly well and even got the back and forth of her emotions.  And yes, it uses lyrics from both songs.  

I don't have much else to say about this one.  It was fun and now that it's out of my head I will hopefully have more energy to continue making different caps and not chasing this ghost.  

Oh, and don't forget to go vote (for my primarily American audience)!  I won't fall into the hyperbole of "THiS iS thE moSt IMPorTAnT ElecTIOn EvEr!" but I think it's pretty important we vote in someone who can speak in full sentences and doesn't succumb to their lower base mind every chance he has.  Plus Kamala is just pure awesome! 

4 comments:

  1. It's sad that the two main choices for the "leader of the free world" are two elderly white guys that will be in their 80's when the next term is up. I think it's just the baby boomers once again not wanting to give up any sort of power and keep themselves relevant when they should be ceding control to the next generations. There's a reason why young people aren't invested as much in politics, when their voice is continually stymied and considered "those damn millennials!" yet get pissed off when "OK Boomer" gets uttered in their direction.

    Anyway, on that note .. fun caption, and your storyline seems a bit like Edward Scissorhands, which definitely fits the holiday we just celebrated. Glad you are back again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dee... the candidate that the young people were behind was Bernie, who is older than either Biden or Trump!

      Vote Libertarian. If everyone who says "voting Libertarian is throwing your vote away" would vote Libertarian rather than Actually throwing their vote away, the Libertarian Party would be a serious contender.

      Delete
    2. I've gone libertarian in the past, as I went with Gary Johnson in 2016, since I didn't like Trump or Clinton .. and I live in a state where it doesn't matter which 2 party candidate I go for. If I was in a swing state this time, I'd go against Trump, but I am not fond of Biden either.But I believe in third party candidates, even though I'm not a fan of Jojo or Spike.

      The youngsters liked Bernie because he isn't the standard Democrat, which as the GOP got further to the right, the Dems went even more centrist, which young people want to go more left. I think Biden will be the last gasp of those ilk that are in the Clinton / Pelosi camp. The millenials eee the BS on both sides and know how much work it's going to take to get the US back to where it should be.

      Delete
    3. I agree Dee. I feel that it's a pretty clear choice on which elderly white guy I think should be in the White House... or at least which SHOULDN'T be in the white house, but that's just me. I agree that millennials are stymied, but I think they'll continue to be so until they show up and do something to change that narrative. Gen Xers had the same problem until they got the reputation of just going to work and getting the job done.

      As for voting third parties... well I had a LOT of thoughts on that and instead of putting it all down here, I made a post on the other blog about it. Check it out:

      https://caitlynsmaskedmusings.blogspot.com/2020/11/i-posted-cap-on-my-other-blog-and-in.html

      Delete