Sunday, May 29, 2022

Freshman Year Changes a Boy


It's more than the Freshman 15!


This is another one of those sudden inspiration caps that I didn't expect to make.  Not to disparage my caps and writing here at the blog, but honestly if I felt like I was up for some writing there are some role playing scenarios that I should attend do.  We all know that my creative juice isn't infinite.  But, as I was catching up my discords from the week I saw that Evie had one of the monthly competitions coming to an end.  And Realfield of Candy's Caption Counter was last month's winner.  That means she chooses the theme of the current contest.  Here's what she wrote:

For the next competition....I propose.....Freshman Year.   Something about leaving home and going off to a university.  The subject goes through a very radical change in their first year at college/university.  The transformation can occur because the subject is finally living their truth or they've been  corrupted by the campus experience or they fall in with the 'wrong' crowd or all three or neither

For whatever reason this really hit my creative bone (shutupyou!).  There's another discord that's full of categorized images and there's an abundance of school girls so... I perused.  I really didn't have a particular idea in mind but figured if an image inspired something, I'd write it up.  Four that were large enough to cap with caught my eye with basic ideas:

This one writes itself (as far as I'm concerned).  He/She fell in with the wrong crowd and they changed him.  This is him practicing what they've taught him as he ruminates over what happened.  


I remember a short story on Fictionmania... something like Halloween Is Done But She Won't Let It End... where a guy went to a party dressed up as a girl and the host found him out and bound him up for some fun and games in the basement.  But three days later he's still there enfemme with the host still playing games.  Not really college, but I figured I could make this a frat party or something.  


Uhh... just a damned sexy image.  I knew this would be a more 'living their truth' style caption but didn't have any idea how they got there.  


And this one you know what I did.  


So I pulled up the image, opened MS Word, and got to writing.  And writing.  And writing.  DAMN IT! I made an obscura and not a cap.  It was a little under three and a half pages where the cap is just over one page.  But I really REALLY wanted to post this as a cap for the competition.  So, while I rarely think a story is half as good when it has to get cut this much, I started cutting.  And I wasn't using scissors I was using a chainsaw.  When I was done I read it through once and saw that it basically made sense, but it doesn't hold a candle to the original.  So... I posted it AS an obscura at the same time as I'm posting this as a cap.  I think the extra details in the obscura makes it better while the graphics of the cap make it a more pleasing and easy read.  

You can read the Obscura Here.  

Let me know what you think!

3 comments:

  1. The obscura version is the slow burn story I was hoping for when I suggested the theme. Your behind the scenes of how you got to the caption version was awesome and this caption version instilled the essence of the longer story perfectly. Loved them both. and would highly suggest to anyone, please read the long form version as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly like the longer obscura form better. It's almost impossible to have that slow burning build up in just a few paragraphs. But while I'll have to confirm this with some more cap/obscuras, right now the views on these two posts seems to argue that most people want the shorter cap form. As I write this the cap has 1,848 views. The obsucra has 864.

      Now that could simply be that the cap was posted after and therefore gets the 'one and done' views, but I'd bet that if I put the obscura up after, it's still get less views.

      Delete