Thursday, March 9, 2023

Pre-Wedding Jitters

All brides get the jitters, even when their wife is helping them get ready for their big day! 

This one came about pretty easily.  I'm following a new tumblr called 'The Fashion Brides' that has a lot of bridal photos.  You might see more wedding themed writing from me!  

Anyway, I've been a part of quite a few weddings as a photography assistant and know that it's not uncommon for brides to get nervous as their beauty photos are being taken.  I guess that's the moment it all becomes real for them.  So having them look serious in the photos isn't uncommon.  Ideally the time would be taken to get them to smile as they normally want that more, but time is limited and so long as they're looking beautiful, smile or no, the photo gets taken.  But when I saw this unsmiling photo I imagined this scenario;  a man dressed as a bride with his real wife prepping him to marry an unsuspecting man.  The bet and the long transformation/courtship came later.  The original idea was just a wife talking to her husband before his big day as a bride.  

I think the story works well enough, especially in this form completely from her voice.  I tried to get the undertone of her pushing while also being as supportive as she can.  

Graphically this cap gave me an opportunity to play with something.  Often with a photo like this I'd have the story run from top to bottom to the left of the subject.  The problem with that layout is that the edge of the cap, to make the spacing work and not look crowded, would have to be immediatly next to the subject.  It'd look like she was on the edge of the cap and almost being pushed off the frame.  

The next thought is to do the same thing but along the bottom.  Have the story run the entirety of the bottom.  But I thought that would weigh the entire cap down and take away from the subject.  I know it's not much, but having the story only take up about four fifths of the bottom should add a bit more weight to the top where the bride is.  

I'm not sure I made it work, especially as I added the title in at the end, but I think this is visually more interesting than when I center everything up.  Lemme know if you like it, don't like it, or didn't even notice a difference.  

1 comment:

  1. Imagining the wife got them a quick divorce with a promise to get remarried after this is over. Just in case Someone says "You didn't really get married, you are already married so this one doesn't count."

    ReplyDelete