Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Circling The Drain

Can you save it?


Come on... when I saw this image over at fuskator I just HAD to cap it.  She's OBVIOUSLY bending over the tub to save the magical trinket (ring? medallion? bubblegum?) that was her only hope of transforming back.  Or... was her only hope of staying transformed?

I knew, once I started writing, that I was going to have a twist of some sort.  She would struggle to change back but eventually enjoy her new life.  I tried writing a part about their research involving her finding a book that detailed rings of this type could either just stop working and fall off on it's own, fall off and seek out a new target, or... something.  I wanted to make it ambiguous as to whether she was trying to save herself from staying in this body or saving herself from transforming back.  But the ring constraints just didn't flow off onto the screen, so I just dumped it and wrote what I was feeling at that time... she liked her new life and was trying to save the ring and keep her new body.

I started writing a 'final' paragraph and thought it might be good to have a loved but lost type story.  How the ring went down the drain and she started transforming back, wondering how she was going to continue to love Josh or herself.  But then I wanted to change it and make her happy, so I nixed that paragraph and started adding a final line on the last paragraph about how she saved the ring, saved her love, and saved her life.  But then it hit me... THAT'S the twist.  Or rather the reader's twist.

Did she save the ring?  Did she not save it? Did she ultimately want to save it?  That's now for you to decide.  Hope you enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment