Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Anti-Aging Addiction


We all want to look younger!


Not too much to say about this one except that I was doing my normal perusal of images (now primarily on Tumblr) with the primary goal of making a cap instead of a Tumblr post or Obscurra.  

To me, it's fine.  I don't think it was worth the extra time.  First, I had to keep in mind a particular length while writing.  Not too long, not too short.  It feels both fleshed out and cut back because of that.  Next, I had to work out the design (flipping the image around, making the background for the text, putting the text on, getting it to roughly fit (24.7 font size FTW!) and finally filling out a paragraph so that the final line of it wasn't only two words and resizing the whole thing as it mostly fit, but not quite.  Oh, and adding the title. 

(And as I'm writing this, I'm going back because I forgot to add the watermark... more time!)

It's hard to compare writing times as if I were writing this freely I might have made this much longer and it would have taken me a half hour to write anyway.  But let's just say the writing time was the same between Tumblr, Obscurra, and cap.  The obscurra header graphic would have taken about 5 minutes.  Maybe 10.  Making this into a cap took about 45 minutes (I'm a little rusty, so lets say 30 minutes under normal circumstances). 

Is it worth it?  I don't know.  This is certainly more artful, more beautiful to look at.  But it kills off half of my production.  Where I could have made two Tumblr posts, I've made one cap.  And the extra creative energy I put into the cap design process isn't free, so it might have killed off more posts.  

And one thing that changes the value perception is access.  I had someone that frequents this blog write to me this morning and ask how she could get here.  She doesn't want to provide ID or phone number or anything else that would get her 'adult' access.  I can't blame her as I'm not sure I would have done that either.  So for her, she simply won't get access to this cap unless I post it on Tumblr.  

I don't know.  It's something I'll have to mull over for quite a while.  

5 comments:

  1. I would like a truckload of your wonderful anti-aging cream, please. My wife and I would very much like to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that Tumblr had cracked down on explicit images awhile back. I posted something about how to get a Gmail account to the Haven's Discord server. Wasn't sure if anyone had tried it to see if it worked, but supposedly you could do it without having to use your name, ID, or phone number. I won't paste the link here as it'd probably get chopped down anyway, but please do look for it on the Discord, and perhaps send it to her?

    I guess that I'm still in the minority that I like the text to be WITH the picture, and that is what constitutes a caption. I just can't really get into the whole new thing of just posting a picture on Twitter with the story underneath. Perhaps I should just start yelling at clouds and to get off my lawn (I don't even have a lawn!) but I do think that there is more care and craft into making it all self-contained.

    And like what happened once with the music business where every song in the world could be had for just X amount of dollars per month, it devalues every bit of music. Why bother to spend time with an album or CD you bought with hard earned money, when you can just hit the "shuffle" button? I think that the quality of music hasn't gotten THAT much worse than when I was younger, it's just that "EVERYTHING" is available to me now, there's nothing "value-added" to the stream of zeros and ones coming through the ether, and there's no thrill in hunting down that next big thing.

    What a drag, it is, getting old. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How do you get access to the haven. Having trouble even letting it verifying my email

      Delete
    2. Dee, sorry for the long time responding. Life sucks. Anywho, I agree that the terms 'Cap' 'Caption' and 'Captioned image' should all be exclusively used for a single image with text and photo combined. Ideally it will be stylistically pleasing, but even if it's the black text on white background to the side of a photo, it would qualify. What I do as obscurras or what I do on tumblr are NOT caps.

      That being said, I still want to explore stories inspired by images and then share those inspirations. It's not done with much care, at least on my part, but it should still be entertaining.

      On the music front... I don't know. I do remember going to the store, flipping through cassettes (and later CDs) trying to find something worth spending a bunch of money on to try out. There were far more misses in those days than hits though. Today, with a subscription to a music service (I personally use Apple Music) I can try on new music whenever the urge hits me. If I don't like it, I'm not out anything. If I DO like it, it's well worth the monthly expense (in addition to the value of having my 'collection' available to me anywhere I go).

      Yes... getting old sucks. I find myself on the 'shaking fist at cloud' side of the equation more and more. But I still try to be open to new ideas of thinking about old conditions and problems.

      Delete
    3. Oh, and as for access to the haven... to be honest, I don't visit there nearly as often as I used to. I hope you do get access though as it truly is a Haven!

      Delete