Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Tit for Tat

Oh look... there IS a tattoo there!

As I mentioned in my previous post (Stamens and Carpels) I am having some writers block.  Dee posted up something on her blog about not having every cap being 100% unique, and to not be afraid of rehashing a tried and true idea.

I took her post to heart and decided that I would cap for the sake of capping.  I would go back to my earlier days and care less about making something great or grand, and focus more on the process itself.  I made this decision about 30 minutes ago.  I fired up Photoshop, MS Word, and Google image search with the intent to make a cap.  Good, Bad, Ugly or otherwise... I would post it up here.  I admit that I was a bit apprehensive that I would make a crappy cap, but I ignored that feeling and trudged on.

It is very liberating to make a cap without focusing on anyone's preferences.  It has been a LONG time since I have done that.  I didn't have to worry about the model having certain traits, or lacking certain traits.  I didn't have to worry about seeing an image that told me a story, but not a story to match my targets desires.  And I didn't have to worry about someone liking it.  I wasn't making it for someones approval... I was making it for practice sake.  I was making it simply to make it.

I started with my basic image search criteria.  Sexy girl.  One of the very first images was of a woman looking down at a tattoo on her chest.  Immediately the idea came to me.... a guy goes to get a tattoo to bring attention to his chest, and the artist brings attention to his chest by giving him a bit set of tits.  Tit for Tat.   Sadly I hadn't made Google display only large images, and this was fairly small. Much to small for me to have fun with.  But I liked the idea.  Was it a cliche?  Sure.  Had it been done before?  Yup  Did I care?  Not a bit.

So I had Google only display large images and changed the search term to sexy girl tattoo.  A lot of images came up with women showing off their tattoos, but none of them gave me the same look.  And most importatnly none of them were of a woman looking surprised/upset/unhappy with a tattoo on or near their chest.  So I started considering several of the images, and manipulating the story to match it.  It would still be a guy getting a tattoo that changed him into a woman, but it just wouldn't focus on his chest.  But then I started falling down that hole again.  The story now felt more forced... not nearly as organic and free flowing.  I briefly considered not doing this experiment, but pushed myself.  I decided that I would look at one more page worth of images and then pick the best one there.

Thankfully the image of the woman you see here was on that page.  I enlarged it, saved it, dropped it into Photoshop and then turned to Word.  I wrote out the first and last paragraphs quickly as it was the basis of the inspiration.  I know I could probably have just manipulated that down to a single paragraph, or even just a slight modification to those two paragraphs and have a story.  But my compass always points to writing out more, and I figured there was more story here.  So I kept writing.  I didn't add much, but I feel that it brought a better soul to the story.

Now on to design.  I knew that the image of the woman needed work.  The background wall behind her was a bright lime green and a pale baby blue.  Eww.   Plus the tattoo on her chest was barely noticeable.  So I wanted to de-emphasize the walls, and emphasize her chest tattoo.  I figured taking out all of the color in the image EXCEPT for the area around her tattoo would work nicely.  I think it did turn out nicely and was now happy with the image.

I started with my standard 900x900 layout, threw Ms Carl in, cocked her to the right, and added a drop shadow.  Now I had to finish the design.  I could make the background of the cap a dark red and the text a pale gray... that would make your eyes focus on the black and white image, which would in turn make you focus on the tattoo.  I tried this, but it was a little heavy.  The red background just sucked all the energy out of the image.  So I reversed it making the text a dark red, and the background a pale gray.  Plug the story in around the image and a few last minute manipulations to get the story to fit just right.... and VoilĂ !

So I know that the writers block isn't as bad as I first thought.  This won't be a repeat of last summer.

Thank you Dee for coaching me through this ordeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment