Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Stop Piracy, Not Liberty

Learn More Inside.  Please.

Let me start out by saying I am an ardent supporter of Copyright, and feel that companies should be able to protect their copyright.  I honestly believe the INTENT of SOPA and PIPA are valid, but they use draconian measures to do so.

Both SOPA and PIPA go far beyond protecting ones copyright.  In a nutshell, they make others protect their copyright.  And if these others don't protect them?  Then they are punished.  I don't feel that I am the best person to explain how bad these proposed bills are, so I will simply link to some more information.

Google
Wikipedia
The Electronic Frontier Foundation

When I first heard about SOPA and the protest against it, I thought it was simply a bunch of people that wanted to continue to steal their computer programs, music and movies.  But when I read more, I saw just how bad these bills are.

And before you think it... yes.  I break copyright myself.  I post images that I find online, and manipulate them to fit into my caps.  And if Brazzers, or any copyright holder were to contact me I would gladly remove any images that they asked me to.  If they decided to sue me... well I would be righteously sued.  But these bills ask Google to do that for them.  Google points to me.  I am breaking copyright.  Google can be punished for pointing to me.

Do you really think that any search engine would point to me or any other cap blog if these bills passed?  It doesn't matter that I do not intend any harm to anybody.  It doesn't matter that I don't make a penny off of my caps.  They could still be held liable for linking to me.

So in this overly simplified example, I hope you can see just how bad SOPA and PIPA are.  But don't take my word for it.. read the links I gave above and make up your own mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment